Elliptical-ing

by Heather on February 12, 2012

Another week has flashed by!  I kept myself busy, but it was pretty much the same routine for me this week.  I’ll take it!

I hopped (more like dragged) myself out of bed this morning a little earlier than I usually get up to hit the gym right away.

If I do go to the gym, I usually stick with the treadmill or bike since they’re the more “common” gym equipment and not as intimidating.  Earlier this week, however, someone was one the only bike at the gym and I decided to give the elliptical a try for the first time ever.  Now I know why most students
of fitness courses at accredited online colleges actually prefer elliptical machines; it can be pedaled in
reverse thus exercising the calf and hamstring muscles.

image
                                                        (source)

Turns out I like it!  I definitely felt like it was more of a workout for me than walking on the treadmill or going on the bike, and I liked that I had the ability to play around with the incline and resistance.

So, the elliptical it was this morning!

Breakfast featured a new favorite of mine – Familia Swiss Muesli.

IMG_6233

IMG_6235

I’ve never had Muesli before this week and I actually really like it!  If you let it sit for 5-10 minutes before eating, it has a really great flavor and oatmeal-like texture.  I’ll definitely be buying it again.

Despite the cold, I decided an outdoor walk was in order this afternoon.  I’ve basically been hiding in my apartment the last couple days with how freezing it’s been, so it felt good to get out!

IMG_4730

Now I’ve got some Calculus homework to get started, a yoga class to teach later, and a movie to finish watching (I started watching Tangled on Netflix this afternoon… no laughing allowed) before calling it a night!

Have you tried the elliptical before?  What do you think of it?

Heather

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

{ 14 comments… read them below or add one }

Matt @ The Athlete's PlateNo Gravatar February 12, 2012 at 6:35 pm

Didn’t you talk to me instead of doing that homework?

HeatherNo Gravatar February 12, 2012 at 6:43 pm

Eh, I prefer talking to you anyways. Thanks a lot for calling me out ;)

StoriesAndSweetPotatoesNo Gravatar February 12, 2012 at 7:06 pm

The elliptical can be a great workout if you really work it. Make sure to use no hands to get your heart rate up! No thank you to that calculus but Tangled is super cute and funny :)

StephanieNo Gravatar February 12, 2012 at 7:17 pm

Haha, I love your last sentence about Calculus homework…cuz I need to get on it asap, too!

I just had a question, since you teach yoga. I’d love to try yoga again (used to do it, but quit due to price, time etc.) and I was thinking about buying the popular book “Slim Sexy Yoga” by Tara Stiles and do it at home by myself. I initially learned yoga through youtube videos, so it might work. But as a teacher, do you recommend self-learning/practicing?
Thank You!

p.s. I loveee muesli!! Used to eat it everyday before I went gluten free. Try “Dorset-Muesli”. It’s the best.

HeatherNo Gravatar February 12, 2012 at 10:06 pm

I completely recommend at-home yoga! I actually learned yoga myself by doing podcasts from http://www.yogadownload.com and Dave Farmar podcasts from iTunes. I still mostly do podcasts at home for my own practice and love it! My only word of caution would be to pay a bit closer attention to the alignment in poses than you might normally (especially as you first get back into practicing) so you don’t get into any unsafe positions that might cause an injury. Otherwise, it’s an excellent way to practice! :)

Jessica @ Healthy DairylandNo Gravatar February 12, 2012 at 7:27 pm

I used to run that bike path all the time. I miss it! That picture makes me homesick for Madison!

Abby @ Abz 'n' OatsNo Gravatar February 12, 2012 at 8:25 pm

Matt’s comment made me laugh. lol. I think the elliptical is pretty hit or miss for me. I prefer biking and the treadmill over it but with my sore leg I have to do it sometimes.

lucieNo Gravatar February 13, 2012 at 8:52 am

Ive never actually tried the elliptical, ive always been a rower or a runner personally!

Kristi @ Sweetly FitNo Gravatar February 13, 2012 at 12:37 pm

haha I have been wanting to watch Tangled ever since I saw the previews!! How was it?!

I like the elliptical a lot too when I want some nice steady state cardio. It’s fun to switch things up!

HeatherNo Gravatar February 13, 2012 at 2:07 pm

It was honestly so cute! It reminded me of Shrek in that it had a cute, funny story that was actually pretty entertaining. Go rent it! :)

Josie @ happycorredora.comNo Gravatar February 14, 2012 at 7:55 am

I used to be an elyptical addict. Its my fave piece of carido equipment because it works the whole body (as opposed to the bike). I now do less because I don’t have a good gym, but also want to focus more on my running.

Muesli looks yum. Its a great brekkie.

Jordan Lynn (Ciao Cow)No Gravatar February 16, 2012 at 7:03 am

I used to never use the elliptical because I thought it was “too easy” to be considered a workout, but now, I love the elliptical. I think it is a great way to get cardio, and it is so low impact that it helps my body recover from harder workouts like running or weight lifting. I am totally an elliptical convert.

MaiNo Gravatar February 16, 2012 at 8:00 am

i’ve actually been doing the elliptical a lot this week because my running shoes are covered with mud and i haven’t had time to wash them!

LOVE tangled! :)

EllipticalsNo Gravatar September 29, 2012 at 11:16 pm

It’s unfortunate they have such a large footprint, and take up a considerable amount of space, or I’d get one for my home, however I use them in the gym all the time, and if the calorie counter is accurate, they are probably the most efficient cardio machine in terms of calorie burn.